Tuesday, September 22, 2020

INSIDE OUTSIDE/OUTSIDE INSIDE

 For this photo series, I employed McLuhan's theories on the cell, "the idea of human detention in a closed space as a form of human punitive corrective action" (61).  I restricted all of my photography by using the walls of my dorm room as parameters for my cell. In the event that the campus does go on full lockdown, this is exclusively where I will be contained.

I also employed McLuhan's theories of automation (e.g. the printer as a "ditto device") by editing my photos with artificial intelligence, the auto adjust feature of my iPhone. I originally edited the pictures by hand, but appreciated the additional level of nuance in allowing the AI in my device to correct them for itself. I do think some of them were edited to be low-key ugly, but that's just business baby.

In the photos, I tried to exhibit the themes of intrusion, animation, technology, vanity, and consumption. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190322845@N04/with/50372841057/

P.S. I could not figure out how to rename the files, so I will fix the names as soon as I figure it out.





1 comment:

  1. I really like your album, and your comprehension of the reading is really strong. I think you did a great idea taking the ideas that McLuhan proposed and connecting them to your pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Multimedia Photo Book

Click to View:  "Wildflower" by Caroline Garrow