Monday, September 14, 2020

Howdy



My earliest films were shot on a pink 2009 iPod nano. My current camera, a Canon t3i Rebel was gifted to me for Christmas in 2013. In the summer of 2014, I completed a competitive digital filmmaking course at Columbia University in New York, bracketed by creative and screenwriting courses at St Andrews University and Lake Forest College. In high school, I was the president of my school's photography club and was the public relations and photography manager for the Theatre Board, as well as a student director. Additionally, I acted as the head poetry editor for my high school's award-winning, student-run literary magazine. At Lawrence, I have worn many hats from photographer to marketing manager to web editor to now a copy editor for the Lawrentian magazine, to other roles working with Alumni and Constituency Engagement, the Hurvis Film Center, Admissions, and the Center for Academic Success. I have also taken on internships with a focus on marketing, social media, and SEO.


I am majoring in Film Studies and Cognitive Science (self-designed). The first gif in this post is from a Cognitive Science inspired film, quite reminiscent of Marshall McLuhan's quote "The wheel...is an extension of the foot[...]the book is an extension of the eye...clothing, an extension of the skin...electric circuitry, an extension of the central nervous system" (McLuhan 22-24). The extended mind hypothesis asserts that the mind is not relocated to the brain, but rather extends into the physical world. This is what I contemplate through both the linguistic and visual modalities of the piece.

In my professional career, I seek to employ cognitive theories to the marketplace, perhaps using film as a medium. My works focus around American Culture--common themes include patriotism, childhood, nostalgia, repatriation, alienation, language, gender, identity, social media, cognition, and death.











2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy how you talk about what you plan to do in the future and what your focuses are, I am excited to see what you produce during this term as it seems you are already leaning towards your future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how as an artist you are discussing parts of your past as means of healing for yourself, but also highlighting the hurtful things you've been through as things that need fixing.

    ReplyDelete

Multimedia Photo Book

Click to View:  "Wildflower" by Caroline Garrow